Saturday, January 07, 2006

Love Is great

Credit goes to my school friend who sent me this:

Nurse: "It was a busy morning, approximately 8:30 am,

when an elderly gentleman, in his 80's, presented to have sutures
(stitches) removed from his thumb.

He stated that he was in a hurry as he had an
appointment at 9:00 am. I (nurse) took his vital signs and had him take a seat, knowing it would be over an hour before someone would to able to see him.

I saw him looking at his watch and decided, since I
was not busy with another patient, I would evaluate his wound. On exam
it was well healed, so I talked to one of the doctors, got the needed
supplies to remove his sutures and redress his wound.

While taking care of his wound, we began to engage in
conversation. Asked him if he had a doctor's appointment this morning
somewhere else, as he was in such a hurry. The gentleman told me no, that he needed to go to the nursing home to eat breakfast with his wife.

I then inquired as to her health. He told me that she
had been there for a while and that she was a victim of Alzheimer Disease.

As we talked, and I finished dressing his wound, I
asked if she would be worried if he was a bit late. He replied that she no
longer knew who he was, that she had not recognized him in five years now.
I was surprised, and asked him. "And you are still
going every morning, even though she doesn't know who you are?" He smiled as he patted my hand and said. "She doesn't know me, but I still know who she is."

I had to hold back tears as he left, I had goose bumps
on my arm, and thought, "That is the kind of love I want in my life."

True love is neither physical, nor romantic. True love
is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and will not be.

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see
them, but you always know they're there

3 Comments:

Blogger rohini said...

loved the bottom line...nice postie..:)...

nd referin yer GFs post...i don totally agree with dat..infact flirty kinda guyz r a big no-no for me!..*being yerself* is the best virtue which impresses otherz most of the time!...

nd yeah thx for visiting mah blog..buh how did ya land on it..belong to the species of orkutians by any minutest chance?

Sun Jan 08, 02:05:00 AM CST  
Blogger ravi shankar said...

hai rohini

Thanks for visiting .I got to ur blog through word of the worlds.I should thank Archana for that.
n by the way you should understand that there were,are and will be exceptions for all cases.same way there might be some flirty kinda guyz and there must be some good girls like you.Anyway thanks for sharing your thoughts...

Sun Jan 08, 02:46:00 PM CST  
Blogger ArChaNaR said...

hey ravi
thats really a nice post!
thanx for sharing it with us

Mon Jan 09, 06:29:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home